Thursday, August 23, 2012
Thursday, August 16, 2012
Sades and I made this beast last night for our GIRLS NIGHT!!! We got together with some girls we met volunteering in Haiti and had an awesome night catching up while eating this yummy lasagna. The only problems I had were the "noodles" being too crunchy, and that I didn't have marinara sauce and had to make it from scratch, mine was a little too celery-y. Delicious none the less.
|Then we got our girl par-tay on with an awesome face-mask from Lush|
Posted by Ashley Rubisch at 6:49 PM
Tuesday, August 14, 2012
1. Mix 1 can of chicken with 2 avocados, you'll need to do some squishing to get the avocado to mush.
2. Slice 1C grapes in half, and crush about 1/2C of cashews so they are not whole, but not powder. Add to the chicken/avocado mix.
3. Add 1/2teaspoon of curry, and a pinch of salt. Mix well and put aside.
4. Cut 2 large portobello mushrooms in 1/4" slices, and put the chicken salad mix on the mushrooms.
5. Slice 2-3 medium sized tomatos and add to sandwich. Either top with another slice of portobello, or enjoy open face.
A few dates make an excellent treat after this sandwich!
Also, I realize I haven't updated you with the struggle to be paleo. So far, the first 2ish days were the worst, and now I don't really want to eat anything that isn't paleo. I thought I'd miss soda a lot more than I actually do - I have replaced it with a little fruit juice mixed with a lot of water - I do go after fruit tons more than I "should," but I keep myself pretty clean. I did have a piece of cake on Sunday because I was at dinner with some friends and it looked fantastic... but you'll all be relieved to hear that I didn't even like it. I have never been a big cake fan, and it just made me feel guilty. It's also getting easier to be creative with my meals, I even started meal planning this week with cute little calendars, and shopping lists I designed.
Posted by Ashley Rubisch at 11:33 AM
Saturday, August 11, 2012
Today, Brian and I went boating on Utah Lake with his family. What a blast! We got home pretty late, and his family picked up some fast food; no, I didn't break guys.. I did eat some sweet potato fries, probably fried in canola oil, but whatever - I was sooo hungry! Then we got home and I made this delicious meal in my furry of hunger!
|Talk about great... Here we have a grilled T-bone steak seasoned liberally with my favorite steak seasoning (it was rare, of course, my paleo ancestors would never have eaten a fully cooked steak) scrambled egg whites with green pepper, mushrooms sautéed in coconut oil, and boiled Brussels sprouts! I love Brussels sprouts...|
|So this is the first attempt, I found a recipe on allrecipes and substituted 1Cup almond, 1Cup coconut milk, 1Cup coconut cream, 1/4Cup honey, and 1Cup of mashed peaches. The gelato wasn't very sweet, and is missing that "cream" taste, but with some fresh peaches on top, it hits the spot... (just as long as you didn't think of it as "gelato").|
Posted by Ashley Rubisch at 1:39 PM
Friday, August 10, 2012
1. Before hand: Cook spaghetti squash by poking holes in the squash and then;
Bake: about an hour in the oven at 375 F
Microwave: 10-12 Minutes, then stand for a 5-10 minutes to steam
Boil: 1/2 hour ish
sidenote: Microwaves are gross, people. Just do the prep before hand to avoid those carcinogens ;)
2. Finely chop cauliflower into 2Cups of the rice-ish looking pieces, place in a pot of water.
3. Add 2Cups of spaghetti squash (just use a fork to scrape it out) to the cauliflower pot, and add 1/2Tablespoon of curry, and 1/2Tablespoon of salt; cover and boil for 15-20 minutes.
4. Cut up 3 chicken breasts in strips, and place in a pan with about 1/4Cup coconut oil, and 1Tablespoon of poultry seasoning (this is my favorite kind). Cook on medium heat until cooked through (no pink).
5. Chop 1/2 a red onion, 10-15 green beans, and slice 5ish white mushrooms, add to the chicken mix, and cover at medium heat until the onions are translucent, and beans aren't as crunchy (about 5-8 minutes).
6. When the cauliflower/spaghetti squash is finished, place in a bowl, and top with the chicken mix! Enjoy!
Serves 2 with some leftovers for lunch.
Posted by Ashley Rubisch at 1:50 PM